Representative Jordan Lang:  Rep. Jordan Lang was born in Kershaw District into slavery as the property of the Lang Family in 1813'.  He was a brick mason by trade, which he used to purchase his freedom, and subsequently, moved to present day Darlington County by 1846'. He was a member of Darlington County's Delegation to the 1868' Constitution Convention and afterward served as a Representative, serving two terms, from 1868-1872.  He had a large farm in the High Hill Township in Darlington County with a homestead of 140 acres, surveyed in 1879, near present day S.C. 341.  Within this rural area of Darlington County, Rep. Lang established a small church to support the spiritual and moral needs of his people.  In his honor, Lang Township ,was named for him during the reconstruction period, as well as a school in said township.   Mr. Lang was married to the former Kizzie Keith and they had 10 children. 



Darlington County during the Reconstruction Period note Lang Township.

Courtesy of Darlington County Historical Commission



Copyright 1973 - 2018, CRC INC. All rights reserved.




Lang Property 1879' - adjacent S.C. 341, Darlington County,

Courtesy of Darlington County Historical Commission





Copyright 1973 - 2018, CRC INC. All rights reserved.




During his tenure in the S.C. General Assembly, Rep. Lang endorsed the children of his constituency desiring attendance to USC, such as A. Milton Hill, along with his fellow representatives from Darlington County.


Letter of matriculation endorsing A. Milton Hill for attendance to USC in 1872.

Courtesy of Darlington County Historical Commission








Copyright 1973 - 2018, CRC INC. All rights reserved




Throughout Darlington County during the Reconstruction Period, Lang School, possibly located on the grounds of Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, was the sight of many political stump meetings where elected officials, and candidates, sought to inform their constiuents of important matters. On one such occassion, Rep. Lang, along with Rep. Humbert, esq., Rep. Jack Smith, and Rev. P.G. Bowman - a candidite, were in attendance, as recorded by the Darlington News, dtd., May 2, 1878, to dethermine whom would best represent the negro in the state house and congress.


The Lang School, built after the Civil War, may have been in use during the period of segregation when African-American Children were forbidden by law to attend White Schools.  The school may have been in service until 1948-1949 when it was closed due to school consolidation.  


The Lang School, i.e., possibly Pleasant Grove Elementary School,  also served as Pleasant Grove Masonic Lodge #157. The last Pleasant Grove Elementary School Principal was Mrs. Hattie Ross Williams.






Pleasant Grove Masonic Lodge #157 Member (standing on front of school at left) and Principal Hattie R. Williams.

Courtesy of Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Mr. Kevin Brown, Darlington County Historical Commission,

and Darlington County Historical Museum of Ethnic Culture






















Copyright 1973 - 2018, CRC INC. All rights reserve





On March 9, 1893, Representative Jordan Lang died.  He is buried in the cemetery that bore his surname - Lang Cemetery, on the site that also bore his small community church.  Sadly, both locations are not open to the public due to private ownership.


To provide remote viewing of this location, modern technology was utilized, provided by Google Earth, of an aerial photograph of Lang Cemetery at GPS coordinate 34.251362 - 79.884852 adjacent to S.C. 340.  The picture below provides the following:



Aerial Photo of Lang Cemetery - note white blots (headstones).

Courtesy of Darlington County Historical Commission, Darlington County Historical Museum of Ethnic Culture, 

Darlington County Library System, and Google Earth










Copyright 1973 - 2018, CRC INC. All rights reserved